With the introduction of the world wide web, video recording has taken on an entirely new meaning.
This increasingly popular online “trend” has left us looking for our smart phone or flip camera in hopes of catching some sort of viral footage that will become the next “Charlie bit my Finger”- an Internet sensation overnight. These viral videos are great for a good laugh (view after view after view…), but more importantly, they have established one key element all local business owners are looking for: traffic.
Through our local business clients, we have come to grips with the unpopularity of video marketing within this industry. Why? Most local business owners are afraid of what they don’t know and recording, distributing and marketing videos throughout the online community seems to heighten everyone’s anxiety level.
The thing about video marketing is that all of the rumors and pre-conceived ideas that are running through the heads of local businesses are causing them to stray away from a marketing tactic that can have a monumental impact on the visibility, branding, reputation and overall lead generation of their business.
So, what are some of the specific benefits video marketing has to offer local businesses?
- Video recording and distribution can establish you (the business owner) as an expert and authoritative figure within your businesses industry.
- A video marketing strategy is one of the lowest cost ways to generate leads throughout the online community.
- With the increasing popularity of video distribution sites (i.e. YouTube), videos ensure maximum visibility through many different online channels.
- Video distribution can increase your search engine rankings for popular keywords and geo-locations of your local business.
Start off your video marketing strategy on the right foot by brainstorming ideas to create engaging video content that is both quick and effective. No need to prepare for your potential academy award nomination…these videos can be short and simple – just as long as you get your point across.
Here are some ideas to spark your video marketing brainstorming session that will create some serious buzz for your local business.
- Testimonials. The local business industry thrives on personal references. Testimonials not only give your business serious credibility, but they can also persuade potential leads into purchasing the service or product that your business has to offer. After you finish a job, or sell a specific item, follow-up with that customer on their experience with your business. Hopefully, you will have a good response, which you can turn into a short 20-60 second testimonial video that can be placed on your website, social media networks and video distribution sites to give potential clients a fantastic reference of your work, giving them more reason to invest in your business.
- Re-purposing Blog Content. If your website has a blog (and yes, every local business should have a self-hosted blog on their website), kill two birds with one stone by taking the information within your written blog post and re-purposing it into a PowerPoint presentation to record (using a screen cast software) and share with the online community. Your goal is to offer great content in a different medium…pleasing both the visual and audio learners.
- How to Videos. Think of how many times you go to Google or Bing and use the phrase “How to” within your search query? How-to videos are one of the most popular types of content because people are constantly looking for ways to fix their own problems. By creating a video on “How to fix a leaky faucet” or “How to do your taxes” you are guaranteed to generate viral traction, while also establishing a name for your business as an expert in your particular industry.
Using your web cam, Smartphone, or flip camera, you can create any type of video to market and distribute, without breaking your businesses marketing budget.
Video marketing has taken on an entirely different role with the introduction of the Internet and the popularity of video distribution sites. Successful local businesses are the ones who can harness this “trend” and incorporate it into their current online marketing strategy to achieve a maximum return on investment, without actually making an investment.